Since our family foray to Canyon Ranch, the health mecca of the Berkshires, I’ve been trying to include more berries in our diet. We were lectured to repeatedly about the endless benefits of berries and encouraged to eat 1 cup a day. That’s 8 oz. That’s actually quite a lot of berries, especially in the winter. Those nasty moldy ones in the supermarket that are sprayed with pesticides don’t count. The answer of course, is those vast frozen bags of organic berries that you can stash in the freezer and haul out everyday to make a smoothie. Apparently it doesn’t matter which type of berry you consume which for the sake of variety helps tremendously.
This is my current favorite. Strawberries and raspberries with a few superfood toppings for interest and added nutrition. This can be entirely vegan if you wish by using non diary milk. A combination of coconut and almond milk is great but you don’t have to get complicated. If this is for breakfast I add a scoop of protein powder, Sun Warrior tastes fantastic. Smoothies are very forgiving so don’t get hung up about using these exact ingredients. Play around to find your favorite combination. Blackberries with some fresh mint for example is wonderful.
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- 4 oz coconut milk
- 4 oz almond milk - OR 8 oz of any milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 heaped teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1 small banana or ½ a large one
- ¼ of an avocado
- Place all the ingredients into a high speed blend and BLITZ until smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass and sprinkle with any toppings you desire - enjoy!