Have you ever met a person who doesn’t like sweet potatoes? I haven’t. Sweeties are the healthy cousin to big white starchy potatoes, they’re filled with beta carotene, vitamin C and manganese among many other very good things. They taste better too – as the name suggests – they’re subtly sweet. These stuffed sweet potatoes make a really easy filling meal, bursting with flavor and depending on your topping, make them vegan or vegetarian. I used a corn and black bean salsa drenched with lime juice, spiked with cumin and fresh cilantro which my family loves, but don’t feel constrained – use what you love, here are a few suggestions to get you thinking:
just about any type of cheese
…… you see what I mean –
- 6 medium sized sweet potatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- FOR THE SALSA
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1, 14oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
- ¼ red onion, diced
- Zest and juice of a lime
- 1 heaped teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely ground cilantro
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- FOR SPRINKLING
- 4-6 oz best quality feta cheese (crumbled)
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Heat the oven to 425 F
- Wash the sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork
- Place the sweet potatoes on a lined CLEAN baking sheet and place in the oven and cook until tender - depending on the size of the potatoes - approximately 50 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, make the salsa. Place all the salsa ingredients into a large bowl and mix together. Taste to check - add more salt and pepper, lime juice if needed.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, remove from the oven, cut the potatoes open, sprinkle a little salt, pepper and cumin over the flesh, then fill with the toppings.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes to lightly cook the filling, remove from heat and sprinkle with feta cheese, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.