It’s strange to get excited when you write about steel cut oats – but I do. I’m late to the party when it comes to these particular oats, I always thought it was too much work, one more thing to do before you go to bed and frankly I was too lazy. Had I known what I was missing it wouldn’t have taken me so long to get with the steel cut oats program. Of course you can make this vegan as I almost always do by using a non dairy milk, coconut milk is especially good here. If you have a large family it’s worth doubling the recipe and keeping the leftovers in the fridge for the next day. Then all you have to do is sprinkle on your favorite toppings. The sky is the limit in regard to toppings – here’s a few suggestions:
Nuts – your favorite
Seeds – as above
Swirl in some yogurt – dairy or non dairy
Anything else that helps ease you into the day.
- 1 cup organic steel cut oats
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- That's it!
- Boil the water
- Place the oats in a heat proof bowl. Pour the boiling water on top and add the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning transfer the oats in the their liquid to a saucepan and simmer until the water is absorbed and the oats are tender about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour into breakfast bowls and sprinkle over your toppings.