Perhaps it’s not exactly the right time of year for a tomato salad but I was amazed at how good this was. I’ve had a bowl of assorted tomatoes sitting out on my counter for over a week, I had intended to roast them up with some fish but never got around to it, then the temperatures shot up to 70 degrees so I thought in the spirit of early spring (going on late summer) – I’d make a tomato salad- with a tahini dressing. It was good – so good that I thought I’d share it with you. I think it helped that the tomatoes had been sitting out for a while, they were nice and juicy and lapped up some good quality oil olive, salt, pepper and the luscious dressing. Piled into a sandwich with some sharp cheddar, avocado, spicy arugula and plenty of dressing – produced a very lovely lunch.
- An assortment of ripe tomatoes
- A drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley or basil
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of good quality sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on a platter.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle very lightly with sea salt, fresh pepper, parsley or basil.
- To make the dressing: place all the ingredients in a high speed blender and blitz until smooth. Start with 1 tablespoon water and increase to 3 if needed.
- Drizzle over the tomatoes and serve.
- Dressing will keep in the fridge up to 4 days.
I use this dressing as a dip for raw veggies or poured over almost any cooked veggie, spread on toast (really!), over falafels (amazing!) or drizzled over fish. All around a very versatile and delightful dressing:)