This is a bowl of green perfection. I wish you could reach in and taste it – it’s full of zingy flavors from the lemons, limes and herbs, with a little kick of heat from the tamari and chili flakes. I wanted to make something green to welcome spring but it seems instead we’re welcoming a blizzard with promises of up to 24 inches of snow – happily this bowl can be served hot. It’s such a virtuous meal, with plenty of greens in every bite, I happened to have kale, sugar snap peas and snow peas in the fridge but asparagus and green beans would be lovely also, use what you have and what you love. In the past my quinoa salads have been heavy on the quinoa and light on the veggies so I thought I’d switch that up and celebrate the veggies in this one, the result is scrumptious and I particularly love the crunch from the sugar snap peas:) This is fast food at its best – it’s bursting with freshness and health and takes about 10 minutes to make from start to finish. Green perfection.
Kale as we all know is the ultimate superfood, just read this article from Healthy Line to be convinced.
There’s plenty of protein here if you’re a vegan, did you know that peas contain 9 grams of protein per cup and combined with the quinoa that makes it a complete protein. Super easy protein dinner.
- 1 cup cooked qunioa
- 1 bunch kale, cut into slivers
- 1 cup of sugar snap peas
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- A couple of olives, chopped
- ½ cup red cabbage, sliced
- A handful of radishes, sliced
- A handful of fresh herbs, parsley and mint
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- Zest and juice of a lime
- Seat and pepper
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Drizzle of tamari
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl.
- In a medium pan place a little water and add the snow peas, sugar snap peas and kale. Steam until bright green, then strain and add to the quinoa.
- Add the olives, cabbage, radishes, herbs, lemon and lime juice and zest, red chili flakes, salt and pepper. Toss together.
- Add a splash of olive oil and tamari.