The posset is Britain’s answer to Italy’s Panna cotta except it’s way easier to make and if you can imagine even more delicious. If you can’t imagine, make it and find out for yourself. Lemon seems the the most usual flavor for a posset but I particularly love the orange vibe, you could even add a pinch of cinnamon to the recipe then serve with some stem ginger shortbread – Heaven.
I’m not claiming this dessert is the healthiest in the world but like all good simple things the end result depends on the quality of the ingredients. I used organic heavy whipping cream, and coconut sugar in place of white, which as it turns out was totally scrumptious and added to the depth of flavor. These are best made the day before consumption, which is ideal for a dinner party but tests one’s strength of will as they sit in the fridge beckoning to you every time the door is opened.
- 2 cups organic heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon best quality organic vanilla extract
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Place the cream, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon if using, into a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to the boil (watch super carefully as it's very easy to let it boil over) then stir at a simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the orange zest and juice and stir well to combine.
- Pour into ramekin, place plastic wrap over the the top and place into the fridge to set overnight.