Vanilla ice cream with a gooey fudgy chocolate sauce is deliciously iconic – sadly it’s usually full of dairy fat and laden with refined sugar – happily not any more:) It’s super simple to whip up a vegan alternative that tastes amazing, I could happily spread this on toast and devour it, it’s Heavenly and you don’t feel icky after indulging. As there are only a few ingredients I’ll dispense my usual advice, use the best quality ingredients possible. It’s always important but so much more so when there are only a few ingredients to play with, everything should be at it’s best. As far as the nut butter is concerned use what you love, cashew butter, almond butter or good old peanut butter. Just be aware that different nut butters have a different consistency and strength of flavor so adjust accordingly.
- 6 oz best quality dark fair trade chocolate – chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of your favorite nut butter (depending on the amount of “nutty” flavor you like)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all the ingredients in a pan and heat on a low heat until smooth – [b]do not allow to boil![/b]
- When smooth use immediately or pour into a glass airtight container and store in the fridge. The sauce will become a solid so allow to come to room temperature before serving or VERY slowly reheat without boiling.
There are so many wonderful non dairy ice creams available these days. My current favorite is Coconut Bliss – any flavor will do!