Blackberries I feel are the forgotten berry. Which is a shame as they’re not only delicious but truly nourishing, filled with fiber and packed with vitamins C, K and E. In England they grow in the hedgerows, in the US I find them in the freezer department of most major supermarkets. Both options work perfectly in smoothies. Smoothies as I’ve mentioned before, are a bit like the cold version of soup, you don’t have to worry too much about what you throw in, the chances are good that they’ll taste just fine. I like to add a good hearty slice of avocado which provides healthy fat not to mention a lovely thickness to the texture of the smoothie, a banana, non dairy milk such as coconut or almond, a good quality protein powder, a heaping handful of baby spinach leaves and a variety of seeds such as hemp and chia. This a a blueprint, feel free to experiment, maybe add some other berries such as logan or blueberries, perhaps a little coconut or almond yogurt or some psyllium powder? There are many possibilities…
I do love a smoothie for breakfast, they checks all the boxes and they’re so refreshing.
- 1/2 cup blackberries, frozen or not
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 small or 1/2 large banana (frozen or not)
- 6 oz non dairy milk
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
- Place in a high speed blender and blitz until smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass, sip and enjoy.
Frozen blackberry image from Pinterest