The secret to this wonderful bowl of green gloriousness is the lemon, so don’t be shy with it. This green soup is a winner. When you’re flat out exhausted or you feel as if you’re coming down with something nasty, make this soup. Truly, after a few bowlfuls of this you’ll be back on your feet in no time. I always make it when I come back from England and I’m so jet lagged I don’t know what day it is. It’s chock full of immune boosting vitamins, fiber and minerals, takes very little effort to make (which is essential in these situations) and even freezes well so you’ll have it on hand when you need it. Don’t worry too much if you don’t have all the specific ingredients, this is what I happened to have in the fridge, I should think kale for example or swiss chard would work well too. Use what you have- but don’t forget the lemon!
Garlic is well known to have many healthful and immune boosting qualities to combat colds and flu so feel free to add more if that’s your issue.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Grinding of fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Braggs Sprinkle Seasoning
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 leek, washed and finely chopped
- 3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, florets (keep the storks for stock)
- 1, 14oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups filtered water or vegetable stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Heat the olive oil and add the onion, saute until golden, then add the leeks, garlic and celery and saute for a further few minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and broccoli and stir well.
- Add the water or stock if using. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender. Add the frozen peas, they’ll cook through quickly in the heat of the soup.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth, add the lemon juice, add a little more salt and pepper if needed.
The soup keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge if needed, just warm through and add another little squeeze of lemon before serving.