Outrageously Delicious Vegan Chocolate Cake was adapted from Vegan Food 52 by Gena Hamshaw.
2 tablespoons warm water
1 heaping tablespoon of ground flaxseeds
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 14/ cups almond milk
1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
Splash of vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
For the frosting:
4 oz dark chocolate chips, melted
4 oz Earth’s balance vegan butter
2 1/2 – 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 – 1/3 cup almond milk
Pre heat the oven to 350 F and line a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan or an 8 inch round.
1. Mix together the ground flaxseed and water – this will become the “egg.”
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl mix together the almond milk, canola OR vegetable oil, vanilla extract and flaxseed mixture.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stir to combine but don’t over mix. Toss the the chocolate chips in a little flour and add to the batter, combine well.
5. Pour the batter into the lined baking pan and place in the oven for about 40 – 45 minutes or until the mixture is just cooked through and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and allow to cool thoroughly on a baking rack.
To make the frosting: