This Brown Rice Salad is full of flavor and plant powered goodness. It’s gluten free, very inexpensive to make and it’s a snap to put together.
The rice takes a supporting role, the star of the show are the vegetables and dressing. Use the freshest vegetables and herbs you can find. Rather like a soup, a salad recipe can be changed to become your own by using ingredients you love and letting go of those you’re not so keen on.
It’s very important to TASTE AS YOU GO with a salad, especially the dressing. I like my dressing zingy with a touch of sweetness, so I add a little date syrup. I like bushels of fresh herbs but you may prefer more cucumber and tomatoes. Taste as you go and adjust according to your taste. This Brown Rice Salad is a riot of color, if you can find tri colored cherry tomatoes it’s fun to use them:)
How do I make it more substantial?
Take this from a side dish to a main by adding cubes of baked tofu.
How do I make this Brown Rice Salad?
It couldn’t be easier!
- prepare the vegetables and herbs and place in a large bowl
- add the cooked rice
- Whisk up the dressing
- Combine, TASTE and serve
What type of rice do I use?
I used Texmati Brown Rice, I think it’s great, you can find it HERE. Brown Rice tends to work better than white rice in salads as it stands up to the dressing and holds its own with the other crunchy ingredients. You don’t want soggy rice! It also has a wonderful slightly nutty flavor.
What can I substitute or add?
It’s really dependent on what you love and what you have available.
- Herbs: try basil, oregano or mint
- Nuts: toasted pine nuts, cashews or walnuts
- Baked tofu to offer more protein and take this from a side dish to a main
- Zucchini instead of cucumber
Brown Rice Salad
A delicious healthy salad, bursting with flavor .
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: salad,
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 English cucumber or 2 Kirby cucumbers, diced
2 scallions, finely sliced – reserved some for garish
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (optional but lovely)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped – reserve some for garnish
1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Juice and zest of a lemon
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
A tablespoon of water to thin if necessary
- Prepare the vegetables, herbs, nuts and seeds if using and place in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked rice.
- To make the dressing combine the rice wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, zest and juice of the lemon, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon or two of water to thin if necessary. TASTE and adjust to your liking.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients, go slow you may not need all of it.
- Toss to combine well and serve.
Keywords: salad, rice, vegan