This Carrot and Ginger Soup is the perfect segue into Fall. It’s nourishing, warming but still light and “happy” from the addition of lemon zest and juice. I think lemon juice makes everything “happy.” Ginger is a lovely accompaniment to carrots, a perfect marriage where each ingredient brings the best out in each other.
It’s super easy to make and only requires a few pantry ingredients. As always use the best vegetable stock you can find. Homemade is the gold standard but otherwise try Imagine or Pacific, I think they’re the best boxed stocks available.
What’s in Carrot and Ginger Soup?
- plenty of vegetable broth
- salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh ginger
- lemon juice
- fresh parsley
- a swirl of non dairy yogurt at the end if desired!
How do I make Carrot and Ginger Soup?
It’s very quick and easy, really it’s just a question of chopping some vegetables and throwing them into the pot with some stock.
- Saute the onion, celery, potato and carrot in vegetable stock
- Add more stock and allow to simmer away until the veggies are tender
- Add the ginger, lemon zest and juice
- Taste and adjust seasonings
- That’s it!
Can I freeze it?
Yes! it freezes beautifully so you have a lovely nourishing soup on hand for a needy moment.Print
Carrot and Ginger Soup
A deliciously warming and nourishing soup.
3–4 tablespoons vegetable stock
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 sticks celery, diced
5 carrots, medium size, peeled and diced
1/2 large Russet potato, peeled and diced
4 cups best quality vegetable stock
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
1/2 – 3/4 inch knob ginger, grated
Juice and zest of a lemon
More pepper for serving
A small dollop of plain non dairy yogurt to swirl through before serving (optional)
- Heat the 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable stock in a saucepan. Add the onion and “saute” for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the celery, carrots and potatoes. Stir well to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, add the black pepper and salt if using. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and partially cover the pot.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat. Add the grated ginger, start with 1/2 inch then grate in the lemon zest and 1/2 of the juice.
- Blend until smooth. Add more stock if the mixture is too thick.
- Taste and add the remaining lemon juice, more ginger and black pepper – taste as you go follow your taste buds!
- Add the swirl of non dairy plain yogurt if desired.
- Serve with a sprig of fresh parsley.
Don’t forget to Pin it for Later!
If you’ve whipped up this Carrot and Ginger Soup or any other recipe on The Well Fed Yogi, please do rate the recipe and leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you! If you snapped some shots of the salad, please do share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!