Let me tell you how fantastic this Chickpea Salad Sandwich is!
It was my first foray into chickpea salad and truth be told this turned out to be truly SO much more delicious than chicken, tuna or egg salad (before I became vegan I adored a good egg salad). The lovely thing about this is its lightness and tons of flavor. Chickpeas it turns out are like the blank canvas of the culinary world. Once smashed up a bit they can take just about anything flavor wise.
What’s in this Chickpea Sandwich?
- Chickpeas, canned are just fine, no need to go through the whole soaking process.
- Lemon juice and zest, to uplift and add some tanginess.
- Vegan Mayo for creaminess.
- Fresh herbs, whichever you have on hand and you love.
- Turmeric the magic herb, it’s optional but is said to have many health benefits.
- Add ins such as avocado, greens and tomatoes.
That just leaves the bread, lovely thick slices of multigrain, sourdough or honey wheat are winners.
This takes approximately 5-10 minutes to whip up from start to finish – how’s that for fast food. It costs next to nothing and if eaten for lunch it will keep you full until dinner.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
A delicious, healthy and hearty sandwich,
- 1, 14oz can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons best quality vegan mayonnaise
- 3 sticks celery, washed and diced
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley (or fresh herb of your choice – basil is lovely)
- Zest of a lemon with 1 tablespoon of juice
- 1 heaping teaspoonful Dijon mustard (plain or stone ground)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Options for sandwich building:
- Avocado slices
- Tomato slices
- Lettuce leaves
- Kale leaves
- Bean sprouts
- More fresh herbs – basil!!
- Shredded carrots.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place in a large bowl. Mash too desired consistency.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Toast the bread and and fill with salad and optional add ins.
Looking for other delicious Chickpea Recipes?
Don’t forget to Pin it!