When you want a little something special, to lift the everyday, make these Easy Bread Rolls. Try them with:
- a bowl of soup
- topped with butter and jam
- dipped into a delicious olive oil with a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- made into a hearty sandwich or encasing a veggie burger
- eaten warm from the oven with a steaming latte
How do you make Bread Rolls from scratch?
It’s a lot easier than you think and this recipe is practically foolproof. It was originally a pizza dough recipe from the Barefoot Contessa, I’ve changed it slightly and it works perfectly for bread rolls.
- Mix the yeast, sugar and oil with warm water and let it sit for a few minutes to activate. It will become a little frothy.
- Add the flour and and salt and knead the heck out of it (I used an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook) for 10 minutes.
- Let it rise for 30 minutes.
4. Shape the dough into rolls and let it rise for another 15 minutes.
What type of flour should I use?
I used Einkorn Flour. It’s an ancient wheat that contains many essential and trace minerals. Although it’s NOT gluten free it’s said to be easier on the system than regular all purpose flour for people who have gluten sensitivities. It’s also a good source of protein and B Vitamins.
You could however use regular all purpose flour, white bread flour or a combination of of white with wholewheat. I haven’t had as much success with using exclusively wholewheat but I’m working on it.
Tips for making the best Easy Bread Rolls:
- Make sure the water is warm, about 105 – 110F. Water that’s too hot can damage or kill the yeast, too cold and it will not be able activate the yeast.
- Don’t skip the second rise, it’s essential for the fluffiness.
- If you want a nice shine on the rolls don’t forget to very gently wash with non dairy milk before you bake.
- Keep an eye on them in the oven, if they over cook the crust will be hard.
Easy Bread Rolls
Easy Bread Rolls for a special treat.
- Prep Time: 1 hour minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 14 Rolls 1x
- Category: baking, bread
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 packets of dried yeast
1 tablespoon cane sugar OR maple syrup
2 tablespoons canola, vegetable or olive oil
4 cups bread flour OR einkorn flour OR all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
- Pre heat the oven to 375F
- Pour the water into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add the dried yeast, cane sugar or maple syrup if using and the oil. Allow to sit for a 2-3 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Add 3 cups of the flour and carefully combine on a low speed.
- Sprinkle in the last cup of flour and the salt.
- Continue to knead the dough for 10 minutes on a low to medium speed.
- The dough will be beautifully elastic. If it’s sticky, add a little more flour.
- Remove the dough and set it on a floured surface. Knead it approximately a dozen times.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warmish place for 30 minutes to rise.
- After rising, shape the dough into rolls and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for another 15 minutes.
- Very lightly brush the rolls with non dairy milk, place in the oven and bake for 10 – 15 minutes until golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Keywords: vegan, bread, baking,