Bread making has just become a breeze with this Easy No Knead Bread method:)
Do you remember the days when you had to put your bread dough to rise twice, knead it endlessly and then ended up with something that resembled a heavy frisbee? I’m so happy to tell you those days are gone. This Easy No Knead Bread recipe (yes you read that right, No Knead!!) is dare I say, foolproof.
There are many such recipes floating around the internet and I’ve tried lots of them, the first being from a Pinch of Yum. I added too and subtracted from their recipe, looked at others and experimented. This is very close to the original and I’m very grateful to a Pinch of Yum for the inspiration. I think I would have given up on bread making if it wasn’t for them.
This recipe calls for a slow 12 hour rise which results in a delicious crust. The bread is baked in a cast iron pot or Dutch Oven with the lid firmly on. It creates a steamy environment which puffs up the inside of the loaf whilst creating that gorgeous crust.
How do you make No Knead Bread?
- You simply combine the flour, yeast, salt and water together in a large bowl.
- Cover it with plastic wrap or a tea towel for 12 hours. This works perfectly overnight. Mix it up before you slip into your PJs in the evening.
- In the morning before you’re out of your PJs transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper, shape into a loaf, cover for a further 30 minutes.
- Place the shaped dough into a HOT Dutch oven and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool – if that’s possible because the aroma of freshly baked bread is going to send your household into a bread crazed frenzy.
What ingredients do I need?
- Flour: I made this with a combination of all purpose and wholewheat spelt flour. I find the more wholewheat flour I add the thicker and denser the loaf.
- Salt: Kosher salt works well.
- Yeast: Active Dried Yeast. I used Fleischmann’s.
- Warm water: it needs to be at room temperature. Too cold and the yeast won’t activate, too hot and it will kill it.
- Is my dough too sticky? No, it will look sticky! Don’t add more flour as it will result in a heavy dense loaf 🙁 It will probably look something like this after the 12 hour rise.
- Can it be left longer than 12 hours? Absolutely, anything up to about 18 hours is fine.
Easy No Knead Bread
A very easy and delicious foolproof bread.
- Prep Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
- Total Time: 12 hours and 50 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: baking, bread,
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon active dried yeast
1 1/3 cups room temperature water
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and yeast. Stir.
- Add the water and stir. You will be left a sticky, shaggy mess.
- Cover with plastic wrap OR a tea towel.
- Leave to rise for 12 hours.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on parchment paper, shape well.
- Pre heat the oven to 425F
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a tea towel and leave for a further 30 minutes.
- Place the Dutch oven in the oven to heat up.
- After 30 minutes lift the parchment paper into the hot Dutch oven. Put the lid on tight and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. You know the bread is done when you turn the loaf upside down and knock on the base. It should sound hollow.
- Remove the loaf from the Dutch oven and allow to cool on a baking rack.
Keywords: bread, yeast, baking,
Don’t forget to Pin it!
This post contains affiliate links.