Have you noticed that vegan baked goods taste better than their dairy laden counterparts? Somehow they’re more flavorful, even richer. The secrets to this easy vegan chocolate cake are:
- zucchini (yes, zucchini in chocolate cake and I promise no one will ever know)
- adding some coffee to enhance the flavor of the chocolate.
- applesauce, a wonderful way to add flavor and moisture so you have a light springy cake without the need for eggs.
To be completely honest I’ve had some trouble with vegan baking but I think I’m getting the hang of it now with the help of the wonderful book Isa Does It! Although I’ve changed the recipe a little I’ve based this cake on her Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake.
- I didn’t have any canola oil so I used a light olive oil instead
- added some chocolate chips to the batter for some extra chocolate loveliness.
- Used coconut sugar instead of regular granulated as I think it adds a wonderful richness and used coconut milk instead of almond in the glaze which was truly scrumptious!
How do I make this Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake?
- first prepare the zucchini, you want to wring out all the excess moisture. You shred it, then wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze!
- Measure all the dry ingredients, add the wet, then stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- I enjoy this as a bundt cake but you can absolutely use 2, 8 inch cake pans if you prefer.
If you’re looking for Vegan Sprinkles I think you might enjoy these.
Dark chocolate certainly varies in taste, my current favorite is Tony’s Dark Chocolate which is deliciously vegan and fair trade. Check it out here.Print
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
A deliciously vegan chocolate cake from Isa Does It! by Isa Moskowitz Chandra
3 cups all purpose flour (I use King Arthur’s)
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup applesauce
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups shredded zucchini (excess water removed by wringing out in a paper towel)
1 cup (8 oz) dark chocolate
For the glaze
3/4 cup coconut milk (full fat not the lite)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 –12 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Pre heat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 10 cup bundt pan.
2. Remove the excess water from the shredded zucchini by wrapping it in some paper towel and wringing it out. Set the zucchini aside.
3. In a large bowl place the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda, salt and sugar. Mix well to combine. Make a well in the middle of the ingredients.
4. In a measuring jug combine the almond milk, applesauce, olive oil and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently combine.
5. Add the zucchini, toss the chocolate chips in a tablespoon of cocoa powder and add to the batter, combine gently. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and place on the middle rack of the preheated oven.
6. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until risen and just fully cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a baking rack to cool completely before adding the ganache.
7. To make the ganache pour the coconut milk into a saucepan, heat until almost boiling, remove from heat, add the vanilla extract and chocolate chips. Stir well until the chocolate chips are melted and the consistency is smooth.
8.Allow to cool to room temperature then pour over the cooled bundt cake.