This French Green Bean Salad is crisp, refreshing and flavorful.
It’s quick and easy to make which is always a plus and sits happily in the fridge for a day or so. A perfect side dish, especially in the warmer months when it can be served at room temperature, it will quickly become a healthy “go to” recipe.
How do I make a French Green Bean Salad?
- Blanch your green beans until just tender
- Give them an ice bath – which means plunging them into a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process, otherwise known as blanch and shock!
- Dice some peppers, preferably red, yellow or orange to give a nice contrast of color
- Toss the drained beans with the diced peppers
- Pour over some really great quality olive oil and a sprinkle of fabulous balsamic vinegar
- Add some kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and dust with lemon zest
Tips for making the best Salad
- Don’t over cook the beans. Make sure the water is at a rolling boiling when you add them. Don’t forget about them! depending on the thickness of the beans they may only take 2 minutes to cook.
- Prepare the ice bath (a large bowl of water with ice cubes) before you start cooking the beans so you’re ready.
- Add the olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time, you may need more but start slow.
- Taste as you go and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
What’s in this French Green Bean Salad and what else can I add?
- Green beans – trimmed if desired, I didn’t bother:)
- Red, orange or yellow peppers, large dice
- Best Quality Olive Oil
- Fabulous Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
Additional add ins if desired:
- toasted pine nuts
- chopped cherry tomatoes
- very finely sliced red onion
- more lemon – juice and zest
- toasted macona almonds
Looking for other deliciously healthy salads? Try these;Print
French Green Bean Salad
A deliciously healthy and flavorful salad and side dish
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 14 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: side dish
1 , 12oz bag French green beans (trimmed if desired)
2 peppers, diced, red, orange or yellow
1 – 2 tablespoons Best Quality Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Fabulous Balsamic Vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Zest of a lemon
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the beans and cook for 3-4 minutes until JUST tender.
- Drain the beans and plunge straight into a large bowl of iced water until they have stopped cooking.
- Drain the beans from their iced water bath, place in a large bowl and set aside to dry.
- Dice the peppers and add them to the beans.
- Pour over the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sprinkle over the salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Taste and add more seasonings if desired.
Keywords: green beans, side dish, salad, vegan
If you’ve whipped up this French Green Bean Salad or any other recipe on The Well Fed Yogi, please do rate the recipe and leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you! If you snapped some shots of the salad, please do share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Happy cooking and eating!
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!