These Lavender and Lemon Shortbread Cookies are crispy, “buttery” and absolutely delightful.
Shortbread is a classic treat, perfect with a cup of tea. Lavender and Lemon Shortbread Cookies just take the experience to the next level. Think Mediterranean sunshine with fields of lavender and hillsides of lemon trees. Lavender is a lovely flavor to add to your baking. Be careful however, a little goes a long way! Lemon elevates and lightens almost everything it’s used in.
Lavender and Lemon Shortbread is easy to make with just a few ingredients:
Almost all of these ingredients may very well be in your pantry. If you don’t have, or don’t want to buy the culinary lavender, just do without, the shortbread will still be Heavenly. I used Jovial Flour which works beautifully in this recipe, it’s 100% organic, very light in texture and high in protein. It was the first time I used it and I loved it.
What can I substitute?
- Use gluten free flour
- Orange zest for lemon
- Cinnamon for lavender
- Leave out the zest and lavender and dip the baked cookies in dark melted chocolate
How do I make Lavender and Lemon Shortbread Cookies?
- Cream the vegan butter and sugar.
- Add the flour, vanilla and salt, mix until crumbly, the dough should come together when gently squeezed.
- Chill the dough
- Roll out, cut into shapes
Lavender and Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 20-24 cookies 1x
1 1/4 cups vegan butter, I used Earth’s Balance Buttery Sticks
1 cup cane sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon dried lavender
Zest of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre heat the oven to 350F
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer place the vegan butter and sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract, flour, salt, lavender and lemon zest. Mix until the dough is crumbly and soft. You should be able to squeeze it together in your hands.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a lightly floured surface. Lightly flour a rolling pin.
- Roll out the dough (it will crumble) to 1/4 inch thick and cut out with a cookie cutter. I used a 2 1/2 inch fluted cutter.
- Place the cookies on the parchment paper lined cookie trays and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies are just turning golden at the edges.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack until thoroughly cool.
Keywords: vegan, shortbread cookies, cookies,
Looking for other cookies to bake? Try these:
Don’t forget to Pin it!