Outrageously Delicious Vegan Chocolate Cake is a bold claim to make but it’s absolutely true. This is a hearty cake, there’s nothing airy fairy here, we’re talking robust, rich, decedent and it’s entirely unapologetic about it. It’s the chocolate chips in the sponge then the thick layer of dense chocolate frosting that pushes this from ordinary to fabulous. Even before I became vegan I used to think vegan baked goods were superior to those using dairy, now I’m convinced. Ground flaxseeds of all things act as the egg replacer. Just incase you didn’t know, flaxseeds are like the holy grail in health food circles, there’s nothing they can’t do, bring down blood pressure, clean out the colon, protect you from heart disease and cancer. Yup, flaxseeds are like the Seal Team 6 of health foods.Print
Outrageously Delicious Vegan Chocolate Cake
Outrageously Delicious Vegan Chocolate Cake was adapted from Vegan Food 52 by Gena Hamshaw.
2 tablespoons warm water
1 heaping tablespoon of ground flaxseeds
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 14/ cups almond milk
1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
Splash of vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
For the frosting:
4 oz dark chocolate chips, melted
4 oz Earth’s balance vegan butter
2 1/2 – 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 – 1/3 cup almond milk
Pre heat the oven to 350 F and line a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan or an 8 inch round.
1. Mix together the ground flaxseed and water – this will become the “egg.”
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl mix together the almond milk, canola OR vegetable oil, vanilla extract and flaxseed mixture.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stir to combine but don’t over mix. Toss the the chocolate chips in a little flour and add to the batter, combine well.
5. Pour the batter into the lined baking pan and place in the oven for about 40 – 45 minutes or until the mixture is just cooked through and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and allow to cool thoroughly on a baking rack.
To make the frosting:
- Place the chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl in the microwave and heat in bursts no longer than 15 seconds each to melt the chocolate, stir well after each burst. Don’t burn the chocolate!
- Place the vegan butter, 2 1/2 cups of the confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder and 1/4 cup of the almond milk together in a large bowl. Beat well either by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat well. If the mixture is too dry add a little almond milk, if it’s too runny add a little more confectioner’s sugar.
- When the cake is thoroughly cooled frost and enjoy.
Looking for other fabulous Chocolate recipes?
Don’t forget to Pin it!