Gosh I love this Rainbow Corn Salad, it’s SO sweet and tangy at the same time from all the lime, and just a tiny bit smokey from the cumin. It’s fantastic, I had an enormous bowl of it for dinner. There’s nothing like fresh corn from a farm stand in the summer, you could make this with frozen and I’m sure it would be good but try to get your hands on the real thing if possible.
The same applies to the herbs, fresh is best. If you don’t like cilantro you could use basil and/or parsley. Try to use a ripe but firm avocado – an impossible task I know, the little buggers go from bullets to mush just when you’re not expecting it.
Make sure you don’t overcook the corn, it’s all very light and flavorful, a perfect summer dish.Print
Inspiration from The Barefoot Contessa’s Confetti Corn
- Category: salad,
4 ears of corn, husked and kernels sliced off the cob
1/2 a small red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup red or yellow (or a combination) cherry tomatoes, sliced in half if large
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup fresh cilantro OR basil and parsley, roughly chopped
For the dressing:
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan until hot, add the red onion, sprinkle with kosher salt and saute for about 5-7 minutes until soft.
- To prepare the corn, slice off the bottom and stand it up, slice down the side to remove the kernels.
- Add the diced red pepper to the onions, cook for a minute then add the corn, cherry tomatoes, black pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring a little until the corn is bright yellow and tender. Add the juice and zest of the lime.
- Remove from heat and transfer the corn mixture to a large serving bowl. Allow to cool for 5 minutes or so.
To make the dressing:
- Mix together the Dijon mustard, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper together.
- Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour the dressing over the corn mixture, add the avocado and fresh herbs. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge.
Keywords: salad, corn,
Looking for other great salads?
Don’t forget to Pin it!