How do you feel about stuffed peppers? I was converted years ago by a Heidi Swanson recipe that used quinoa, corn and feta cheese as the stuffing – so good! Today I have taken a leaf out of the Minimalist Baker‘s book and tried her recipe to create a Mexican vibe. They’re fantastic. Plenty of toppings I think is essential:
- diced red onion
- a good shake of hot sauce
- squeeze of lime juice
- a good dollop of mayo
I love this sort of food simply because it is so flavorful and delicious AND it’s so good for you. One of the cornerstones of a plant based diet is offering enough flavor and texture as well as protein to fill you up. The combination of beans and quinoa provide plenty of protein and all the aforementioned do the rest of the job.
I also LOVE that salsa is used in the filling – another great flavor boost. I wish I could claim this perfect recipe as my own but I absolutely can’t, it is all the Minimalist Baker’s genius. My only suggestion is the dollop of vegan mayo when served, not very Mexican but very creamy and delicious.
A deliciously protein packed dish.
- 4 peppers, cut in half and cleaned up
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1, 15oz can of black beans
- 1, 15 oz can corn
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup good quality salsa
- Pinch of sea salt
- Grinding of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- [b]For the toppings[/b]
- Slices of avocado
- Diced red onion and tomato
- Parsley or Cilantro
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Pre heat the oven to 375F
- Cook the quinoa to the packets specifications.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except the toppings.
- When the quinoa is cooked, add it to the other ingredients and combine well.
- Cut the peppers in half length ways and brush lightly with oil.
- Fill the peppers with the quinoa mixture, place on a baking tray or dish, cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until cooked through. If you would like the filling a little more crunchy remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with toppings while warm.
Looking for other Quinoa Recipes?
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!