The absolute best Vegan Brownies.
I’ve made two batches of these vegan brownies in 24 hours and they’ve all disappeared, that’s how good they are. Of course you don’t need to go crazy and add more chocolate chips, nuts and coconut flakes on top. That’s just me. I never know when to stop.
These are deeply chocolatey, crispy on the outside and gooey in the middle. The perfect consistency of a brownie in my opinion. There’s nothing “healthy” about these, they’re the type of brownie you get in the coffee shop or the bakery, in other words they’re the real thing. When you’re craving chocolate and you just need something sweet, these are for you.
I did however use White Spelt flour for my first batch and all purpose for the second. There was honestly very little difference between them. The spelt flour perhaps produced a slightly more “cakey” consistency.
If you’re looking for a really great gluten free option try Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, click here for info.
My husband, who between you and me is a bit of a picky eater, has been adding these to a bowl of non dairy ice cream. Not a bad idea. As for me, I’m enjoying them the traditional way with cup of coffee. Chocolate Vegan Brownie Heaven.
How long will the Vegan Brownies keep?
If wrapped, either individually or uncut in one large piece, the brownies will keep for 2-3 days.Print
Crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside. A perfect vegan brownie.
2 tablespoon ground flax meal
6 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon dried coffee granules (I used Nescafe) OR expresso powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 oz vegan butter cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup cane sugar
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
For the toppings:
Cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, chocolate chips, coconut flakes
- Pre heat the oven to 350F
2. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
3. In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons water. Set aside to thicken.
4. In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, coffee granules and salt.
5. In a microwave proof bowl combine 1/2 cup chocolate chips, cut up vegan butter and vanilla extract. Heat for 40 seconds, stir and heat again if necessary until the butter and chocolate is almost melted. DO NOT OVER HEAT! Stir to melt completely. Add the sugar to the melted butter mixture and beat to combine.
6. Add the melted butter mixture and the flaxseed mixture to the dry ingredients. Add the other 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan. Press down gently with a wooden spoon to distribute the mixture evenly in the pan.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are firm and the middle is just set.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool thoroughly in the pan. Remove and cut into squares.
Looking for other chocolate recipes?
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Don’t forget to Pin it!