Crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside. A perfect vegan brownie.
2 tablespoon ground flax meal
6 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon dried coffee granules (I used Nescafe) OR expresso powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 oz vegan butter cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup cane sugar
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
For the toppings:
Cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, chocolate chips, coconut flakes
2. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
3. In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons water. Set aside to thicken.
4. In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, coffee granules and salt.
5. In a microwave proof bowl combine 1/2 cup chocolate chips, cut up vegan butter and vanilla extract. Heat for 40 seconds, stir and heat again if necessary until the butter and chocolate is almost melted. DO NOT OVER HEAT! Stir to melt completely. Add the sugar to the melted butter mixture and beat to combine.
6. Add the melted butter mixture and the flaxseed mixture to the dry ingredients. Add the other 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan. Press down gently with a wooden spoon to distribute the mixture evenly in the pan.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are firm and the middle is just set.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool thoroughly in the pan. Remove and cut into squares.