Beautifully flavorful with fresh lemons, this Vegan Lemon Loaf is a perfect teatime treat!
This glorious lemon cake is zingy from the lemon, has a light sponge with just enough moisture and is topped off with a luscious lemon glaze. It’s reminiscent of the Starbuck’s lemon loaf, except this is vegan and has way less preservatives. Whipping it up is a snap, it’s just a question of mixing some wet ingredients into dry and baking it up in the oven, which produces the most gorgeous lemony aroma in your kitchen.
This would be perfect for a brunch or a pot luck. Everyone will love it, vegans and carnivores alike. It’s important to use fresh lemon zest and juice, it provides a lovely balance of sweet and tart. Have you noticed that lemons just lift everything they’re added too? They’re like the “happy” ingredient:)
What’s in this Vegan Lemon Cake?
- Almond flour as well as all purpose. The almond flour adds some depth, flavor and moisture to the cake. However if you don’t have any, don’t worry, just use all purpose entirely, it will still be delicious.
- Fresh lemon and lemon zest.
- Canola oil. You could use any other neutral tasting oil.
- Cane sugar.
- Non dairy milk. I used almond but any non dairy milk would do.
- NO EGGS OR EGG REPLACER! Simply not needed!
The glaze is just a question of mixing a little confectioner’s sugar with lemon juice and a tiny splash of non dairy milk. Make sure the cake is thoroughly cooled before you pour over the glaze.
Here’s a video to show you the steps:)Print
Vegan Lemon Loaf
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: cake
- Method: baking
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup non dairy milk
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
1/4 cup canola oil
For the glaze
1/2 – 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon non dairy milk
Pre heat the oven 350F
Grease and flour an 8 x 4 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, almond flour, baking power and sugar.
- In another bowl whisk together the milk, lemon zest and juice and canola oil.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry, stir to combine but do not over mix.
- Pour the the batter into the prepared loaf pan, place in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a baking rack to thoroughly cool.
- To make the glaze, mix together the lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar until it is well combined. If the mixture is too runny add a little more confectioner’s sugar. If it’s too thick add a teaspoon or two of non dairy milk.
- When the cake is thoroughly cool pour over the glaze. Allow to set, then serve.
Keywords: vegan, vegan baking,